PREP Application Procedure
The PREP application for the 2023-24 academic year is now open! Please read the information below for application links, eligibility details and application instructions. The final submission deadline is March 31. Early submissions are encouraged!
The University of Chicago PREP is designed to provide mentoring, research skills, coursework and a positive learning environment to recent post-baccalaureate students, who intend to pursue a PhD degree in biomedical science. Entry into the PREP is competitive and based on past research experience, research interests and career plans. The Program begins in the summer.
Eligibility: The University of Chicago PREP follows the eligibility guidelines that are set by NIH. To participate in the PREP program, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident from a group considered underrepresented in biomedical research;
- Have a baccalaureate degree in a biomedically relevant science field from an accredited U.S. college or university awarded no more than 36 months prior to applying to a PREP; and
- Must not be currently enrolled in a degree program.
Please see the NIH websites for more information on eligibility: https://diversity.nih.gov/about-us/population-underrepresented, https://www.nigms.nih.gov/training/PREP/Pages/prep-grads.aspx and https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-20-031.html.
The PREP Application Consist Of Two Elements:
1. PREP Application Form (https://redcap.uchicago.edu/surveys/?s=M9RLHXEYRAKJMJKC)
2. Faculty Recommendation Form (https://redcap.uchicago.edu/surveys/?s=XXXFK7D8EKKTEM9F)
Please arrange for three individuals to submit a recommendation form using the link above. Although you will list these three individuals in your application, the program does not contact them.
PREP Application Instructions: The application consists of several sections, including a personal statement, and will require you to upload your most recent unofficial college transcript. Before beginning the application, make sure that you have all your information gathered and your personal statement and transcript saved as a PDF (preferred) or Word (.doc or .docx) file. If you are unable to upload your transcript at this time, you may submit the application form and then email us at PREP@lists.uchicago.edu for specific instructions. Students who are admitted to the program will be required to submit official transcripts. If you wish to save your application and complete it later, be sure to make a note of your return code, as this will not be emailed to you. Upon submission of your application form, you may enter your email address to receive a confirmation email. Please contact us at PREP@lists.uchicago.edu if you do not receive a confirmation.
Deadline: All application materials and recommendation forms need to be received by March 31. We have rolling admissions, so early submissions are preferred.
1. Individuals from groups underrepresented in biomedicine, encompassing all relevant social, behavioral as well as health sciences, are strongly encouraged to apply.
2. Applications are encouraged from any individuals with a demonstrated commitment to increase the full participation of underrepresented groups in biomedicine.
In keeping with its long-standing tradition and policies, the University of Chicago, in admissions, employment, and access to programs, considers students and employees on the basis of individual merit without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national or ethnic origin, handicap, or other factors irrelevant to work or study in the programs of the University.
Glory Velazquez (PREP class of 2017): “The PREP program exposed me to high quality educational opportunities, which prepared me for my future doctoral studies. During my time in the program, I was surrounded by a supportive and productive environment, which helped me expand both my knowledge and research skills.”